Monday, March 12, 2007

Thoughts on Kaarina's Wedding

So I thought I would just post some thoughts and comments about the weekend- it was such a whirlwind that I didn't really have to time to process everything til last night....then I was sick and up all night. I have always been this way- I get all worked up and stressed and then I just crash and get sick....maybe this is what being manic is like?!

Anyways, Kaarina got married. It is all quite surreal. I mean just writing the speech for her and thinking back over a friendship that has lasted 25 years is ridiculously emotional. How do you just tell a few stories when pretty much every memory you have involves that person- even if they weren't there they heard all about it and know what you are talking about. Even last night (through the nausea) I just kept having all these other things popping in my head that I should have discussed- Follow that Bird, Star Trek, Three Stooges game, Corey Haim, Mackenzie Astin, BOP magazine, air bands, Tribe, Electric Youth, Joe Labonte, November Rain, Englehart, StupidHead...god it is just overwhelming...almost being murdered in Geneva, Beefcake....god there have been good times

So the weekend was good. I got there Friday and we set up the hall- I tried really hard but in the end Drill Sergeant Shauna came out. I just have to get things done and have things around me be organized and efficient. I tell you people- I really would be a great wedding planner. I am so anal that things get done. It really was fabulous getting to talk to Trina- I never see that girl nearly enough! And I really like her boyfriend Christian- he is super nice and funny. Trina you did well!

That night Julie got there and it was great seeing her. I mean being around Kaarina and Julie is just comforting. I mean even though you meet new friends after KL and you become close with them it just isn't the same as being around people that you have known your whole life. These are the people that truly know you because they know your entire history- you can't hide anything from them. You can't create a picture of yourself. They know everything and still want to be your friend.

On Saturday morning a masseuse came to Kaarina's and we got massages- AMAZING! I was so worked up and stressed that it just felt fantastic. Such a nice relaxing way to start a busy day. Then Saara came with all the carbs....mmm....carbs....thank god for my La Senza body shaper!! We got ready, toasted with some really great champagne that Saara brought then took off to city hall. Then I made the stupidest decision of all- and my foot still hates me for it- I decided that I had to wear heels for the ceremony- I just hate my legs without them! And then I drank so much as the night went on that I am now incredibly sore...but it is worth it! At least I looked good for Kaarina's wedding! But I couldn't walk by the end of the service! While there were some kinks it all worked out in the end!

Then we went back to Kaarina's and although there were some huge annoyances- why the hell did she pore expensive Champagne down the sink?! And then not offer to pay for it?! I thought Saara and Kaarina would kill her! Trying to clean....who cares?! We said we were coming back to do that- don't touch things that aren't yours! Sorry....I'll stop ranting....just hard to deal with that type of annoyance on a day that is supposed to be happy and stress free.

Anyways, we got to the hall and thanks to Julie helping out we started the ceremony. I am just excited that I wore my heels again, did the walk right and didn't break anything or light anything on fire! The ceremony went well, the food turned out fantastic and it all ran smoothly. Then speeches- good times! And dancing- while there was some incredibly odd music played we managed to throw in some KL classics that brought down the house- 1-2-3-4 All the Ladies on the Floor!! By the end of the night I'm not sure I know my own name but I had a really fantastic time. I made sure that no white wine was left behind on any tables...hehe!! Thank god Julie was there to take me home- I was a huge mess! But I got to talk to a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time and dance without a care in the world- so the night was successful!

Yesterday I helped move presents then we went for a late lunch and I drove back to Kingston. And I could hardly stay awake- I was sooo tired. I thought I would get a good night's sleep but then unfortunately I got sick all night. But I am a bit more rested now and feel good.

So to Kaarina- to love, laughter and happily ever after!

No comments: