Tuesday, April 17, 2007

VT Thoughts

This morning I made sure to read the Star to see what the latest news was about the shooting yesterday. The minute I heard that the shooter was a landed immigrant I just cringed. Cringed. I mean instead of looking at the facts- a student owned and used 2 semi automatic handguns in a massacre- I was sure that they would start talking about the problem of immigrants in the country.

Instead it went off in the scariest direction of all. I watched some CNN coverage tonight- always scary watching American news- and the overwhelming response was there should be more guns on campus. Plain clothes officers with guns in each building. Then there should be no laws restricting gun use on a Virginia campus. If students had had weapons it would have ended sooner. In Texas more students would have had guns and he would have been stopped earlier.

People that is the scariest solution that I can think of. Arming more people to "protect" themselves. I think this is going to lead us down a very dark path- and I thought we had already reached the end with this administration.

Right now let's just focus on the poor people that lost their lives. An old Jewish professor who survived the holocaust, the cold war in Romania, and he died while barracading the door so his students could jump out- when I heard that it just made me so upset. To kill an old man by shooting him in the head. Makes me sick to my stomach. Others getting shot while in their French class. The whole thing just makes me shake I get so upset.

No comments: