Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cirque du Soleil


I went to see Cirque du Soleil last night with Becca, Jason (Happy Birthday!) and Simmie. I had a lot of reservations about going because all things associated with the circus frighten me. Clowns- men dressing up to lure children...scary. Acrobats- nobody should be able to bend their body in that way. It just freaks me out. I never ever ever had any desire whatsoever to ever see Cirque but I can always be lured with free tickets...I'm a sucker for anything free...

First off- it was in this absolutely massive tent. It starts off with Clowns going all over the tent- I was not a big fan. The clowns kept coming out through the whole performance- and I have to say it was my least favourite part. Clown humor just doesn't do it for me...it makes me embarassed and I feel awkward for them. Then the show started....there were way more individual acts then I thought there would be and not as many jumping and leaping section. There was one section with these very little bendy girls that gave me the creeps- I swear they are about to join Freddy Krueger in haunting my dreams. It was like they were spineless- so scary!! There were also all these highwire and spinning salt and pepper giant thing acts where people had to balance and do tricks on things that were high in the air and moving- and they had no harnesses. Becca and I were both having heart attacks- they just kept doing these tricks and acting like they were going to fall...Jason swears that was part of the act but I was still frightned. I mean their balancing skills were unbelievable.

I have to say the thing that made the whole show very real was during the finale. They did this big acrobatics section where these men were being thrown in the air and landing on each other. One guy is literally catapulted in the air and he is to land on another guy's shoulders- who is already standing on another guy's shoulder. He actually flew over them and missed- luckily he was caught by spotters. We then saw them on stage talk to make sure everyone was ok- it just made it much more human and realistic that sometimes they can fail.

Anyways, in the end it wasn't that bad- I actually had a really good time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a side note, am I the only one that thinks about Cabbage Patch Koosas every time they hear about this? Anyone? Anyone?

Shauna said...

Is that what they were called? I don't remember their name- I just remember that you had them and I was jealous