Sunday, February 17, 2008

Movie Review- Atonement


On Friday I went to see another Oscar nominated movie- Atonement. First off- I hadn't read the book so I was exactly sure what to expect. I knew it was an epic British movie that had some war scenes- that is about all I knew.

Immediately I realized that James McAvoy is a sexy beast. A short sexy beast- but a sexy beast nonetheless. At the beginning he had this amazing floppy hair- loved him!! I had never really noticed him before- the only other thing I've seen him in was Narnia and he was the annoying centaur with disgusting facial hair so I was definitely not attracted to him then. But that has all changed- I must must watch Becoming Jane next!

Next- the young girl who plays Briony was incredibly freaky looking. They kept focusing on her staring- and she was ridiculously creepy. She is going to be playing Susie in the Lovely Bones movie so they'll probably show her doing her creepy staring again.

Keira Knightly did not deserve a Best Actress Golden Globe nomination for this- she really is not the star. She is a supporting character if anything. And she is RIDICULOUSLY skinny in this- like bones jutting out everywhere skinny...it was pretty gross. The only good thing about her character was her wardrobe- the clothes were amazing. She wore this green dress that was absolutely spectacular.

The movie itself was a bit long winded- I won't lie. The director and cinematographer really wanted to focus on landscapes and beautiful long moments with a beautiful score- but i mean the actual story could have been told in a much shorter way. But it was visually spectacular- I just like things to move along a bit more.

In the end- it was a great movie- very much reminded me of the English Patient. Great movie that is good to see once- but I don't know if I will go out of my way to see it again. I do recommend it because it is entertaining and has a good story- plus it was unpredictable which I liked. And the ending has a good twist that I was not expecting.

Was it the best picture of the year? Nope- my vote still goes to Juno

No comments: