Friday, May 30, 2008

Day 11- Crete cont'd

Hey everyone- I know I don't usually write twice in one day but this is when I usually write to give a synopsis of the day. Our resort is absolutely breathtaking. It is just outside of Chania in Kalamaki and is right on the ocean. There are two pools and the beach is right there- it's stunning. Plus there is a fantastic poolside bar which makes a great Pina Colada. We went into town today to walk around and see the harbour and I have to say...I don't get it. I just don't. Everyone said Crete was a must and how spectacular it is and we just don't see it. It is just a busy dirty commercial European city. I mean there are some nice Venetian elements granted but I just don't see anything spectacular. I much prefered the greek villages on the other islands. But our resort has great food so we will just relax out here before we have to go home. And we will tour Knossos on Monday and I'm very excited about that. Oh and did I mention this place has satellite television- English television oh how I've missed you!! We watched Whos the Boss- spectacular!!

3 comments:

Gerald Brown said...

Watching British TV while supposedly on holiday: complaining you don't "get it" what is so spectacular about Crete... Perhaps it is because you unable to open your mind to history and culture -- that is why in your perspective you re one of those people with limited mental vision so you can only see the ugly side of Chania....

Sheila said...

hmm.. not sure who this gerald is but they obviously don't know you at all since you have more knowledge about history (particularily ancient greek history) than anyone I know (and I know well-read, intelligent people). Perhaps someone reading your blog shouldn't have such a "limited mental vision" of the author.

Regarding Chania - we only visited the older (touristy) section where the venetian & turkish elements are really present and few vehicles can access. The city as a whole is much larger than any you find on the other islands so I understand what you are saying about it not having the same quaint feel. The Crete we enjoyed most we got to see by touring by car to the small villages and towns.

enjoy your last few days of vacation! Today it is 28C, but the mornings are continually cold (less than 10). Hoping the warmth will last!

Shauna said...

Thanks She for the defense! I have no idea who this retard is who is commenting...I love when the dumbasses read my blog...which is written for my friends- then comment! It makes me feel so famous! And by the way Gerald you complete and total tool- if I choose to watch American television before I fall asleep that is my choice- haha!