Sunday, February 8, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I went to see this yesterday with Chantale and let me tell you- it was amazing. I've been thinking about if for the last day and just think it was fantastic. I think that everyone should see this movie- especially teenagers. Teenagers from Kirkland. It may put their lives in perspective- there are people out there who have it MUCH worse than we do. There are some incredibly graphic scenes that were disturbing to me- I'm not going to lie, I had to close my eyes at parts. But what was most disturbing is that these things do happen. Chantale just went to India in October and I had a roommate in University that spent months there in undergrad- this is what they saw and described to me.

I have heard about the controversy that is starting to surround this movie. That various groups are offended by the portrayal of the slums and of India. That it perpetuates stereotypes. That this was too unrealistic. And to that I say- it's a movie. Of course it's unrealistic. They ALL are!! As for the rest- the truth hurts. If you don't want people to see this- fix it. Put money into your citizens and not just into the country's infrastructure. Deal with the insane poverty- do not ignore it.

In the end- go see it. It is eye opening. And deserving of Best Picture

No comments: