Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Thousand Splendid Suns


This book was highly recommended to me by a friend of my mother's who said she read this in a few days. I have to say all in all it was a good book. It was well written and it was a very compelling story. But I have to say- it was a tough read for me. It chronicles the life of women in Afghanistan over the past 50 years. And as we all know the oppression of the Taliban was atrocious. But there is so much more that has happened there and that is still happening. I found it super hard to read at times- especially when it involved excessive brutality. I have no problem reading historical novels and the violence does not normally affect me. But there is a reason- it is the past. It is not happening now- there is nothing I can do to change history. But when I know it is happening right now as we sepak- it just way too disturbing to me. It makes me hate people. And it strenghthens my hatred of religion- because let's be honest almost all this shit happens in the name of religion
.
Allright enough with the sidebars- I do recommend this book. But you definitely need to be in the right state of mind for it

No comments: