Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Book of Negroes


I just finished the Book of Negroes and let me tell you I am highly recommending it. It is one of the first books I've read on the African slave trade and it was incredibly informative and obviously quite disturbing. But beyond that it was well written and well researched. I always love reading any historical novel that can teach me about the period and this was no exception. I have to admit there were definitely times in the first 100 pages where I wanted to put the book in the freezer because it was so incredibly disturbing but I pushed through and it was well worth it. A great read.

Plus fun side note- my great grandfather's grandfather was a man named William Wilberforce and he abolished the slave trade in Britain. He is a character in this book which I very much appreciated.

No comments: